These dogs were developed in the 19th century in Yorkshire, with the motive of making a breed that will be able to hunt and catch rats in clothing mills. Many people believe that the ancestors of the Yorkshire terrier were probably the Maltese, Skye terrier and the Paisley terrier.
These dogs took part in many dog shows and even won Best dog award. This breed was further introduced in North America in the year 1872 and was registered and recognized by the American Kennel Club in the year 1885.
Yorkshire terrier – At a glance
The following list of general and physical characteristics will help you get familiarized with your Yorkshire terriers: –
• Breed type: Pure breed (belong to the Toy/ Terrier group of dog breeds). These dogs are registered with the American Kennel Club, Canadian Kennel Club, New Zealand Kennel Club, Continental Kennel Club, American Canine Registry, Canadian Canine Registry and several others.
• Height: Males have an average height of 6 to 8 inches whereas females have an average height of 5 to 7 inches.
• Weight: Males weigh about 6 to 8 pounds whereas females weigh about 5 to 7 pounds at an average.
• Life Span: They have an average life expectancy of 10 to 15 years.
• Available coat colors: They usually have a black, blue, tan, steel blue coat, gold or reddish.
• Their coat is generally silky, long and is perfectly straight.
• Yorkshire terriers generally have a docked tail. However, many organizations do not recommend docking.
Temperament and Personality traits
These dogs are active indoor dogs and if they play regularly then you wouldn’t require specially taking them for daily walks. They are intelligent and can be trained quiet easily. They can even learn cute tricks and can easily perform well in obedience and agility trials.
These guys love toys and therefore you should fill their house with toys and soft stuffs which will keep them happy and playful. These dogs have a cuddly and perky personality and would love to spend maximum time with their masters.
These dogs would require early socialization, crate training and should also be taken to puppy obedience classes if required. On the contrary, they can be easily house trained as well.
Yorkshire terrier is not suitable for a family which has small children. Breeders will sell pups only to families who have children more than 5 years of age. This is because Yorkshire terrier is extremely small in size and notorious children can purposely or accidentally hurt these dogs while they are playing together. Never keep your Yorkshire terrier with big- sized pets.
Feeding habits and Nutrition
Feed your Yorkshire with ¼ to ¾ cups of Premium quality dry dog food divided into two equal meals every day. Make sure you feed right amount to your dog as excessive feeding can lead to diarrhea, stomach ailments, obesity and various other problems.
The food you give them shall never have any source of human food, cheese, alcohol, resins, cashews, berries, chocolates, ice cream and stuffs like that as these can be fatal for Yorkshire terriers.
Give them only AAFCO approved food. Brands that you can trust are Acana, Pedigree, Hills and Purina dry dog food.
Health and Immunization
Yorkshire terriers can be affected by number of disease conditions such as:
• Bone related diseases: Hip and Elbow dysplasia, patellar luxation, arthritis.
• Eye related or Ophthalmic diseases: such as Progressive Retinal Atrophy, cataract and others.
• These dogs are Hypoglycemic and hence you should regularly feed them with honey syrup to avoid lowering of blood sugar levels.
• Other problems: Portosystemic shunt, collapsed trachea, reverse sneezing, cancer and others. Hydrocephalus, congenital defects, Perthes syndrome, corneal ulcers, Hypoplaisa of dens and others.
A daily 20 to 25 minutes’ walk will otherwise keep your Yorkshire terriers fit. Visit an experienced and registered vet for regular health checkups at least twice a month.
Yorkshire terriers should be immunized at regular intervals so that they are protected from various diseases caused by dangerous viruses. Some mandatory vaccines for this breed includes: – Parvovirus, Rabies, Distemper, Coronavirus, Hepatitis A and B, Influenza and Parainfluenza vaccines. Inject annual booster shots from experienced vets.
Care and Grooming
Yorkshire terriers are high maintenance dogs and would require frequent grooming sessions. Be prepared for spending money on hair maintenance every month as they would require getting their hair cut at least once a month from professional groomers. Never try to cut their hair all by yourself as you may land up in a mess. They have a soft coat which can tangle easily so make sure you brush them with a soft brush at least twice day. Bathe them with a good quality dog shampoo at least once or twice a week and after each such wash brush them nicely. You can choose to clip their hairs, which will be quiet easy to maintain. Brush his hair to prevent matting.
Brush his teeth at least once a week to avoid building up of tartar and clean their ears with a soft ball of cotton soaked in a pH neutral ear cleansing solution at least once a week to keep them away from ear infections.
Start grooming sessions right from puppy hood so that they do not feel shy with you when they grow up. While you are grooming, check for any signs of redness, erythema, sores and blisters as this could possibly indicate onset of disease. These dogs cannot tolerate excessive heat so make sure you get an AC installed near their kennel.
Adopt or rescue a Yorkshire terrier according to various guidelines set by different organizations that give them name and recognition. Ensure that you adopt a pet from a reputable breeder and the one whose parents are not suffering from any chronic or acute illnesses. Do not take the pup that is fighting with his litter mates. Some of the reputable breeders from whom you can adopt or rescue a Yorkshire terrier are Rescue Me Yorkie Rescue, United Yorkie Rescue, Yorkshire National Rescue Inc. and YTCA Rescue, Inc.
Yorkshire Terrier Puppies For Sale In Central PA$ 5004-15-15 015$ 3254-15-15 014$ 3254-15-15 011$ 3254-15-15 008$ 3254-15-15 004$ 3254-15-15 002$ 325Yorkshire Terrier Puppies For Sale Near Gap Pa.$ soldIMG_59867$ soldfor sale in:paIMG_598117$ soldfor sale in:paIMG_598317$ soldfor sale in:paIMG_59724$ soldfor sale in:paIMG_597414$ soldfor sale in:paIMG_59784$ soldfor sale in:paIMG_59837$ soldfor sale in:paIMG_59817$ soldfor sale in:pa17$ soldfor sale in: Pennsylvania