Lhasa Apso is an ancient breeds that probably existed about 4,000 years ago. They were first found in Malaysia and later formed a part of Tibetan monasteries. They are loved because they are beautiful, intelligent and a matter of pride for those who own them. These dogs were officially accepted in the terrier group by the American Kennel Club in 1959.
Lhasa Apsos were spotted in many serials, shows and films such as – the Comic series Monica’s Gang, animated series of Spider man and his amazing friends, in some of episodes of The Simpsons, in the TV series: The L Word and many others.
Lhasa Apso– At a glance
The following list of general and physical characteristics will help you to get familiarized with your Lhasa apso: –
• Breed type: Pure Breed (Non- sporting/ Utility/ Companion group of dog breed). These dogs have been give recognition and are registered with the American Kennel Club, New Zealand Kennel Club, Continental Kennel Club, American Pet Registry, Inc., Canadian Canine Registry, Canadian Kennel Club and others.
• Height: The males have an average height of 10 inches to 1 ft. 1 inch whereas the females have an average height of 9 inches to 1 ft.
• Weight: The males weigh about 14 to 17 pounds and the females weigh about 12 to 15 pounds at an average.
• Life Span: These dogs have a life expectancy of more than 13 years. Some can even live for 15 years.
• Available coat colors: They have a gorgeous dense and silky coat and are available in various coat colors such as black, slate, white, parti- color, honey, apricot or a mixture of gray and black.
Temperament and Personality traits
Obviously Lhasa Apsos are one of the friendliest dogs. They can be a loving companion and can mingle well with children. Lhasa Apsos are a symbol of pride and dignity as they are beautiful and elegant. They are mild natured and are never aggressive even when they are irritated to a great extent. This is why young children are safe with these dogs. Still, you should never practice to keep children with these dogs, totally unsupervised.
Lhasa apso is totally an irresistible dog. They are so cute that perhaps no man in this world will avoid him. Lhasa Apsos need a lot of care and attention. They would love to sit on their master’s laps and enjoy warmth of love and affection. They would certainly never want to be left alone. These are not backyard dogs and may even develop some mental diseases if they are left alone for a long period. However, they are so innocent and lovely that no one would ever like to leave him alone. They can also suffer from separation anxiety if they are ever left alone.
These dogs are intelligent and can be a threat to strangers. Therefore, they can be excellent as watch dogs. They are quiet easy to train and one should give him crate training, positive reinforcement training right from puppy hood. Behavior of dogs will differ from dog to dog and will largely depend on the method of training applied. Never apply harsh training method on these cute creatures.
Feeding habits and Nutrition
Feed your Lhasa apso with high quality premium dry dog food from brands such as Acana, Dr. Tim’s, Purina, Hills, Pedigree or Orijin dry dog food. Normally, feed a healthy adult with 1 to 1 ½ cup of dry dog food divided into two equal meals every day.
Never feed your dog with food that contains stuffs such as human food, cheese, apple core, raisins, cashews, chocolates or alcohols. You can occasionally provide your Lhasa apso with kibbles and chews as snacks.
Your Lhasa apso may be allergic to certain food stuffs such as chicken and veal, therefore make sure you know about food stuffs that you Lhasa Apso is allergic to.
Health and Immunization
Lhasa Apsos can acquire variety of diseases. Some of the common diseases in Lhasa Apso includes: –
• Sebacious Adenitis – a very common hereditary disease in these dogs leading to formation of dry and scaly skin along with partial or complete loss of hair on top of the head.
• Progressive Retinal Atrophy or PRA which leads to gradual loss of vision.
• Cherry eye – in which the third eye lid gland swells and causes the corner of the eye to become cherry in color. Cherry eyes condition can be removed by surgery.
• Keratoconjuctivitis sicca or dry eye syndrome – in which the eye becomes dry due to inability of the tear glands to produce tear.
• Familial inherited Renal Dysplasia – an inherited defect in kidneys wherein the kidneys are defective in shape and the dogs having this condition may undergo complete renal failure.
Despite of all these diseases, the Lhasa apso comparatively has a greater life span than many other similar breed types. It is advised that you take your dog for regular health checkups. Pay visit to an experienced vet at least once in two months for regular health checkups as well as make list of the vaccinations he would require time to time.
Your Lhasa Apso should be immunized at regular intervals so that they are protected from various diseases caused by dangerous viruses. Some mandatory vaccines for this breed includes: – Parvovirus, Rabies, Distemper, Coronavirus, Hepatitis A and B, Influenza and Parainfluenza vaccines. Inject annual booster shots from experienced vets.
Care and Grooming
Coat of Lhasa apso needs special care. Appoint a permanent and an experienced groomer for maintaining the coat of your Lhasa Apso. They would require frequent and daily brushing. You may even adopt to clip his hair which is easier to maintain.
Brush his teeth thrice a week and cut his toe nails at least once a month. Maintain good ear hygiene and clean their ear with cotton balls soaked in pH neutral ear cleanser.
You can adopt or rescue a Lhasa Apso according to the guidelines given by organizations that give him name and recognition (as mentioned above). One of the most famous rescue groups that give adoption services for these dogs is the American Lhasa Apso Club.
Lhasa Apso Puppies For Sale In PA$ 371Lhasa Male Puppy For Sale In Central PA$ 350Lhasa Apso Puppies For Sale Near Shippensburg PA$ 350Lhasa Apso Puppies For Sale In Central PA.$ sold4-15-15 015$ 3254-15-15 014$ 3254-15-15 011$ 3254-15-15 008$ 3254-15-15 004$ 3254-15-15 002$ 325Lhasa Male For Sale$ sold10-8-14 025$ sold10-8-14 029$ sold10-8-14 034$ sold10-8-14 035$ sold10-8-14 037$ sold10-8-14 039$ soldIMG_8532$ soldLhasa Puppies For Sale In Shippensburg Pa.$ 300IMG_8293$ soldIMG_8302$ soldIMG_8299$ soldIMG_8303$ soldIMG_8304$ soldCollie Puppies For Sale In Gordonville Pa.$ soldLhasa Puppies For Sale Near Shippensburg Pa.$ 325West Highland White Terrier Puppies For Sale In Pa.?$ 450for sale in: Pa.IMG_7324$ soldLhasa Apso Puppies For Sale In Pa.$ soldfor sale in: PaIMG_70681$ 600for sale in:Pa.IMG_7070$ 600for sale in:Pa.IMG_70745$ 600for sale in:Pa.IMG_63056$ 600for sale in:Pa.IMG_63116$ 600for sale in:Pa.IMG_63016$ 600for sale in:Pa.IMG_63006$ 600for sale in:Pa.IMG_62966$ 600for sale in:Pa.IMG_62916$ 600for sale in:Pa.Ann$ soldfor sale in:PennsylvaniaAmber$ soldfor sale in:Pennsylvania17$ soldfor sale in: Pennsylvania